Seventeen members of the family of James Oyugi Onyango were released from forced quarantine on Wednesday the 29th of April.
James, who was an employee of the Kenya Ports Authority, died on 12th April. He is reported to be the first victim of the Coronavirus disease in the country and was buried hurriedly in a manner that left the nation talking.
His family was then quarantined at the Kenya Medical Training College in Siaya.
Their results however were all negative after being tested four times. They were supposed to undergo another test on Tuesday but they refused and said the health officials were mistreating them.
On wednesday evening, they were released, 18 days later, 4 days more than the standard quarantine time.
The family said they were grateful that they were finally going home. They said they had been praying for negative results all through.
A petition to have the body of James Oyugi exhumed for proper burial is pending at the High Court in Siaya with the ruling set to be on Thursday.
The judge is also at liberty to request for further submissions before she can set a date for the ruling.